Make a dingbat font with Inkscape
Buried in Inkscape .47 is the ability to make your own SVG fonts. This isn’t all that exciting because even Inkscape can’t use SVG fonts. However, pair this with a free font conversion tool and you now have a way to create your own TrueType fonts for free! The font creation features are not well developed yet, and there is precious little documentation, but after playing with this quite a while I have finally come up with a set of procedures that works. View/download the tutorial (PDF) here. View the video here. If you develop an original font for digital diecutters, please let me know so I can post it on my fonts page.
- fontstarter.svg file Inkscape file to be used with the tutorial
- Dingbat map webapp (Windows) for viewing your completed font
- Online Font Converter or Free Font Converter
- Inkscape documentation covering font editor
- See and download some example fonts at Denise’s Scrapbooking Room